Education and Skills Funding Agency - Modular Frameworks
Project - Modular Frameworks
Sector - Education
Technology - Volumetric
Company - Education and Skills Funding Agency
Winner of 2018 Offsite Awards - Client of the Year
Since 2013 the ESFA have built new schools, rebuilt and refurbished existing schools or blocks, some 500 in total. Over the last 3 years, in line with the recommendations of the Farmer Report, we have focused much of our efforts on delivering better, quicker, cheaper schools.
Whilst undertaking significant work in developing and delivering the new Contractors Framework for schools (approx. £1b), we have set up a separate team to focus on the creation of an off-site solution, engaging with the manufacturing sector and the delivery of three separate procurements of around £500m in total.
These are all based on a standardised approach, predominantly manufactured off-site, fully compliant and delivering best value. Many of these are being delivered by manufacturers new to the ESFA who are able to compete due to the approach of and guidance provided by the ESFA through its design guidance information and thorough engagement process prior to and during procurement and during delivery.
Other risks to the delivery of the school rebuilding programme include;
- Brexit (35% of the construction workforce in London are EU Migrant workers)
- Off-site construction makes best use of local labour nationally.
- Declining skills in the industry (Industrial Strategy and Farmer Report)
- Of-site construction increases repetition, requires fewer skiiled installers.
- Low productivity
- From starting on site to school opening, deliver period have been reduced, on average, by around 50%.
- Lack of investment in supply chain, people and apprenticeships
- Of-site construction provides greater long term career development opportunities for its workers.
- Insufficient standardisation due to regional procurements
- Off site construction is highly standardised.
- Re-inventing the wheel on design
- Off-site construction uses one set ot template princioples across a wide range of schools.
- Rebalance of economy - we cannot afford to build schools in the South East and there is very limited market interest.
- Off-site manufacture is spread throughout the country.
- Other competing major projects such as Housing, accommodation for Hinkley Point C, HS2, Crossrail, Heathrow Terminal 3, ThamesLink Programme, Smart Motorways and Housing.
- Off-site construction is creating greater market interest and new market entrants.