The world changed last year, and we all reckon we have a better handle on it now. The trouble is it keeps changing and it may be changing faster than your expectations.
Here are nine key areas related to retaining and recruiting staff which you were assuming you didn't need to worry about yet, but need to be on your radar right now!
- Counter offers are back! We see this more than ever. Employers caught napping, not looking after staff or not sorting out pay reviews will lose people. There is often (only ever short term) good reason to try and grab people back in, and it needs covering in your recruitment process. I'd love to promise we can eliminate it, but rest assured our team are well trained in handling these situations.
- Multiple offers are now common. Make your best offer straight away and earlier than the competition. If you are waiting to hear from your offered candidate you probably went too low, and they are still interviewing elsewhere.
- Salaries are too low. No one had a pay review last year (OK, a lucky few did!) and many accepted a drop. This needs correcting ASAP to avoid leavers. Lower salaries will not be put up with for much longer. Review, or risk losing people. There is a lot of variation currently, which will be covered with the next Salary Guide - coming soon!
- Don't delay! Delay kills recruitment processes. Don't delude yourself that good candidates will hang around for you. Recruiters are bemoaning this across LinkedIn and we see it ourselves. We have addressed this with our ARVIEW solution incorporating advanced video interview tech to speed up the process.
- Scarcity is back. The skills shortage eased a bit in 2020. Now with offsite and MMCs growing at pace skills are in short supply and this will get tougher than ever with a lack of overseas candidates.
- Same again please? If you are relying on attracting people from direct competitors, then it is time to think more broadly. A growing industry cannot just shuffle the pack; it is self-defeating. You need to consider candidates from different sectors who can cross with least effort and training. Many can successfully move into quite different roles - when we look at the backgrounds of some of our best candidates they often originated in a different sector, so give it consideration.
- Treat candidates with respect at interviews. We are moving to a candidate short market and a world where respect and wellbeing is now recognised better. You need to sell your culture, company and opportunity as well as treating candidates as a valued friend - regardless of whether they will get the job. No more bad cop!
- The competition is after your people. They are approaching them on LinkedIn and anywhere else, via in-house recruiters and agencies. It is a fact ignored at your peril - and it happens to us (of course it does, we have great people!) Look after your great people before they get the call!
- Flexible working Keep facilitating this. We are seeing companies moving staff back to the office without really explaining why. Flexibility will help keep and attract people. Why not survey your staff asking where and when they would like to work?
ARV Solutions are the leading recruiters for the offsite and MMC market, established for over 17 years and with a highly experienced team of professional recruiters. We are always open to discussing how we can help support your business in recruiting and all aspects relating to it. Call on 0117 9592008 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit www.arvsolutions.co.uk